Therefore, we don't have time to stop and deal with misbehaviors. However, when you have a room full of 20+ bodies all under the age of 10, something is bound to come up each and every day. To help alleviate those behavior blues, take control and invest in a SHOULDER BUDDY.
- Shoulder Buddy doesn't sit longer than an hour or two but also doesn't hop around every 10 minutes
- Shoulder Buddy doesn't leave the classroom (so he doesn't fall into the toilet, someone's lunch, become abandoned on the playground, get tromped on at PE, etc.)
- Shoulder Buddy doesn't always go to "our best friend"
- Shoulder Buddy likes to change up where he sits (not just on BOYS shoulders)
- No one touches Shoulder Buddy when he is sitting on someone's shoulder
When I introduced Shoulder Buddy I would always hold a writing competition. My students would have to write a persuasive paragraph about what our Shoulder Buddy's name should be and WHY. The class would read through each paragraph and vote on their favorite. If I had a class of my own today, I would use Dotstorming to create a digital collaborative board for students to type their ideas. Dotstorming allows users to VOTE on their favorite ideas. This would be a quick and easy way to decide on a name!
|Example of a Dotstorming Board and votes|
A few months ago I stumbled upon a TECHIE shoulder buddy so I started bringing Mr. T around with me as I visited classrooms. Everyone wants Mr. T to sit on their shoulder.
Enter the Rafflecopter at the end of this post to WIN "Digit" a MATH themed Shoulder Buddy!
You can buy your very own by clicking one of the links below. There are many different kinds of shoulder buddies. If the novelty starts to wear off after a few months, buy a new one. Period.